There’s one ultimate reason why I love making galettes: U only have to roll the dough, and basically that’s all done. The rest of the work is just like kiddie stuff 😀 And in the end u can still have urself a pie !!! Wiii
“Galette” is a term orginating from France which refers to different types of round and flat crusty cakes (Wiki 😀 hehe). In general, a galette is similar to a pie or tart with an almost-freestyle shape. Some people even call it “fruit pizza”. The sweet fillings are put onto the middle of a rolled pastry crust, about 2-3cm away from the edges. Then fold the edges of the crust to make a flat “bag” in order to keep the fillings stay in place while baking.
Now let’s see how we can make a strawberries galette:
Pate Brisee (Short crust pastry)
All purpose flour – 1 1/4 cups (175gr)
Salt – 1/2 tsp (2gr)
White sugar – 1 tbps (14gr)
Butter – 1/2 cup (113gr) – chilled and cut into small pieces (the smaller the better)
Ice water – 30-60ml
Strawberries – 454gr
White sugar – 1/4c (50gr)
Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
All purpose flour – 10-20gr (1 or 2 tbsp)
*Make the crust:
– Combine flour, salt and sugar.
– Add butter, combined using a wooden spatula or your hand is totally okay until the mixture resembles coarse meal
– Pour in about 30ml ice water, mix the dough together. If it’s too dry and does not hold together, add a little bit more water and continue mixing. The dough for crust is done when everything holds together when pinched
– Shape the dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and chilled in the fridge for about 1 hour. This step will chill the butter and make it easier for the following steps.
– Once chilled, divide the dough ball into 4 equal portions.
– Roll each portion on a floured surface to make a circle (about 18cm in diameter). Cover w plastic wrap and keep the pastry in the fridge to firm up
*Make the filling:
– Combine all ingredients together, divide into 4 equal parts
– Remove the pastry from the fridge, add the fillings, leaving about 2,5cm border from the edges of the pastry.
– Gently fold the edges of the pastry up and over the filling, leaving the center open. Press the edges gently to make sure the pastry sticks together. Chill for about 15-30 mins
– Preheat oven to 200C. Bake the galettes for about 25-30 mins or until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbling and start to run out from the center.
– Cool before serving. Best in the day made.
– Instead of dividing the dough into 4 portions, u can actually make as many as u like.
– U can use any kind of fillings: different types of berries, peach, apple, etc; or a mixture of all fruits u love.
– U may also add jam to the galette as a base before adding in the fruits
– The last 2 times chilling in the fridge, personally I think are optional.